"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water'." (John 7:38)




"Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God. And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual." (1Cor. 2:12-13)

Translate

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Point By Point

I was driving to work one morning when this scripture came to mind:

"They came to Capernaum; and when He was in the house, He began to question them, 'What were you discussing on the way?' But they kept silent, for on the way they had discussed with one another which of them was the greatest. Sitting down, He called the twelve and said to them, 'If anyone wants to be first, he shall be last of all and servant of all.'" (Mark 9:33-35)

Immediately after pondering this, another scripture came to mind.

"Now as they were traveling along, He entered a village; and a woman named Martha welcomed Him into her home. She had a sister called Mary, who was seated at the Lord’s feet, listening to His word. But Martha was distracted with all her preparations; and she came up to Him and said, 'Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to do all the serving alone? Then tell her to help me.' But the Lord answered and said to her, 'Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.'" ( Luke 10:38-42)

This seemed to contradict the first scripture. Wasn't the act of serving the focal point of what Jesus just spoke about in the first story?

At this point my attention was diverted to the traffic around me, and I became frustrated with all the inconsiderate drivers on the road; especially those that affected my path.

I struggled to get back into my meditation after that. Then this scripture came to mind:

"Peter, turning around, saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following them; the one who also had leaned back on His bosom at the supper and said, 'Lord, who is the one who betrays You?' So Peter seeing him said to Jesus, 'Lord, and what about this man?' Jesus said to him, 'If I want him to remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow Me!'" (John 21:20-22)

Just then, it was impressed upon me the relevance of these three scenarios. They have one thing in common; worrying about others. When I am consumed with the behavior of others around me, my Spiritual intimacy quickly dissipates and I become very self-absorbed.

Point made. I am humbled.

PJR

"But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice." (James 3:14-16)

No comments:

Post a Comment